Perfect for health conscious sweet tooths, this lighter version of the traditional Christmas Yuletide Log is a scrumptious alternative to the traditional gluttonous Christmas puddings. By swapping the traditional cream filling with a delicious yoghurt and fruit filling, this Skinny Yuletide Log from cancer prevention charity, World Cancer Research UK (WCRF UK), comes in at just 110 calories per slice and is the perfect pudding for diners who want a guilt-free chocolate feast. It also only contains 3.6 grams of fat and 13 grams of sugar per serving. This Skinny Yule Log will serve 12 guests and will only take around 40 minutes to prepare and bake.
75g 70 per cent dark chocolate
75g caster sugar
4 large eggs
50g plain flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
200g thick low-fat Greek yoghurt, such as Liberte 0% Greek Yoghurt
1 teaspoon icing sugar, sifted
75g pomegranate seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC/Fan 170ºC. Line a 30cm x 20cm shallow baking tray with baking parchment.
2. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Leave to cool slightly.
3. In a separate bowl, using a handheld electric whisk, beat together the sugar and eggs for about 5 minutes, or until pale and fluffy. Using a large metal spoon, fold in the sifted flour and 1 tablespoon of the cocoa powder, followed by the melted chocolate.
4. Carefully pour the mixture into the prepared tin and spread out evenly. Bake for12–15 minutes until cooked and the cake is springy to touch. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
5. Lightly dust a large sheet of baking paper (larger than the cake) with a ½ tablespoon cocoa powder and carefully turn out the sponge onto it. Cover with another sheet of baking paper and cover with a clean, damp tea towel.
6. Meanwhile, make the filling; in a small bowl, mix together the yoghurt and icing sugar. Carefully fold in the raspberries and most of the pomegranate seeds.
7. Remove the tea towel and top baking sheet, then spread the yoghurt mixture over the cake. With the help of the paper underneath, roll up the cake from the short side. Transfer to a serving plate, dust with remaining cocoa powder and pomegranate seeds. Cut into 12 equal slices and serve.
1. Make sure your Greek yoghurt is thick enough and your cake fully cooled, otherwise your filling with spill out.
2. Don’t forget to be creative with the decoration of your Skinny Yule Log. Serve with a few pieces of holly or novelty festive cake toppers from your local craft store.
For more information about World Cancer Research Fund UK (WCRF UK) visit www.wcrf-uk.org.