Leigh East

Thatto Heath 28 Leigh East 16.

Last Saturday East first team travelled to St Helens to face Thatto Heath in the 14th round of the NCL Premier season, both teams needing a win to pull away from the relegation zone. Hooker Keiron Maddocks opened the scoring on seven minutes going from acting half 10 yards out, Quinn adding the conversion. Danny Kilshaw replied for East on 13mins, Kerrod Selmes levelling the score. On 20mins Andrew Stott put Dave Hull through a gap between centre and wing for an easy try, Quinn adding the extras. On 32, Thatto lost the ball fifteen out from their own line, Lee Wingfield was quick to react, kicking the ball through and following, it struck the left hand post padding and Wingy was composed in catching and grounding the ball, Selmes landing the conversion. The score level at 12 points each at the break.

Thatto regained the lead in the 50th, Dave Hull getting using his strength to break through a last gasp tackle by Kilshaw. Three minutes later Kilshaw cut between the Thatto 8 and 11 to score, Selmes hitting the upright. Score: 18-16 to Thatto.

On 56 East looked to have taken the lead when Wingfield powered over between the uprights, the referee ruling a knock on.

Danny Kilshaw was sent to the bin on 62mins for an alleged high tackle, the referee initially allowing play to carry on but at the intervention of a young linesman decided to penalise East and show the yellow. Thatto scoring from the penalty set Andy Lea crossed, Quinn adding the kick to make the score 24-16.

In the 70th Wingfield again had a try wiped off for being held up over the line. Two minutes later Mark Kay scored in the left hand corner, the linesman who was right on top of the action signalling a good try only for the referee to disallow it. East continued to attack and this time Jermaine Allen crossed by the right corner flag only for the linesman to signal touch. It was obvious that East weren’t going to be allowed to come back into the game and matters worsened with three minutes remaining when one of the linesman came running onto the field following tackle told the referee that an Elbow had been used, resulting in Lee Rowley being shown Red.

The game was finished off with two minutes remaining when Maddocks went in at the corner .

This Saturday East welcome East Hull to Ledgard Avenue, K.O. 2:30pm.