Centurions prop who went AWOL ready to resume career

Richard Beaumont
Richard Beaumont
0
Have your say

RICHARD Beaumont, the prop forward who signed for Leigh for the 2015 season but went AWOL in December, wants to resume his rugby league career.

The former St Helens forward is joining League One club Rochdale on a month’s loan and is expected to feature in Hornets’ squad for their Ladbrokes Challenge Cup tie against Swinton Lions on Sunday.

Beaumont, 27, joined Leigh over the winter after being released from his contract at Saints but has not featured in the Centurions’ games so far this season. An imposing prop forward, he formerly played for Hull KR and made his Super League debut in 2011. He played four games on dual registration with Rochdale Hornets in 2014.

Leigh Centurions head of rugby Derek Beaumont said: “I am delighted Richard has been able to overcome his family issues and regain contact with me. He has experienced some difficult issues which are not for discussion here and I have a sense of understanding of the situation and how Richard chose to deal with it.

“The fact remains he is a big dominant forward who is Super League quality and has age on his side. Obviously Richard has missed the pre season and is behind where we would like him to be. He goes to Rochdale who have a good coach in Ian Talbot and an environment Richard is familiar with from his time dual registered there from Saints.

“The loan spell will provide Richard the opportunity to make his way back into Paul Rowley’s plans for the first-team and we are hopeful he can come and give us a shot in the arm before the business end of the season. I am confident he will grasp the opportunity with both hands and quickly gain everyone’s respect. Richard will be available for Rochdale’s fixture on Sunday against Swinton in the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup.”

Leigh Centurions head coach Paul Rowley said: “Richie will be going on loan to Rochdale with the intention of getting his career back on track and re-engaging with the routine and commitment required to succeed.

“I am keen to see not if, but how long it will take him to rediscover his best form and force his way back into our environment here at Leigh where the door has always remained open for his return.”

Rochdale Hornets chief executive Ryan Bradley added: “We are delighted to acquire a player of Richie’s quality to give us a boost ahead of what is going to be a hard-fought title push.

“Richie is eager to impress and has a point to prove, much like a few members of our squad.

“I’d like to thank Derek Beaumont and Paul Rowley at Leigh for their assistance in getting the deal done and I’m sure this move will benefit Hornets, Richard Beaumont and Leigh Centurions.”