Warning after cigarettes cause fire

Firefighters are warning residents to ensure cigarettes are fully out
Firefighters are warning residents to ensure cigarettes are fully out

FIREFIGHTERS are warning residents to ensure cigarettes are disposed of properly after a fire involving a pile of rubbish next to a commercial building.

Crews were called to a fish store in Golborne at around 7.30pm on Thursday and found a pallet and some waste was on fire at the back of the building.

The firefighters worked quickly to extinguish the flames, which were touching the rear wall, and managed to prevent the blaze from spreading although there were several large burn marks left on the building.

The crews found a large pile of cigarettes close to the site of the fire and concluded at least one of them had been carelessly discarded to cause the fire.

Smokers are now being warned to take extra care when getting rid of cigarettes they have finished with and ensure they are fully out.