Updated: Christening still on despite fire

Close Street, Hindley. Taken from Google Street View
Close Street, Hindley. Taken from Google Street View

THE couple whose kitchen was destroyed whilst they were preparing food for their son’s Christening have revealed the setback will NOT ruin their plans.

A young couple, aged 30 and 25, were preparing food for their seven-month-old boy’s special day when the oven set alight in Close Street, Hindley, at 6.45am on Sunday.

I am thankful that we got out as our baby was in the house - anything could have happened

Anonymous

The family escaped unharmed and alerted the fire service, who arrived promptly and extinguished the blaze.

The flames destroyed the oven, kitchen worktops and all the food for the day. There was also extensive smoke damage to the rest of the house, ruining the baby’s gown.

But after family rallied round to help them clean up and provide food for the buffet, the Christening successfully took place.

The 25-year-old woman, who did not wish to be named, said: “In the morning, we didn’t know whether we would carry on with the Christening - as we had a lot to sort out.

“But our family and friends helped us out.

“We were cooking food for the buffet and the oven looked like it was going to set on fire, but I never expected it to. We turned it off and then it set on fire. I got my partner and our baby out and called the fire service.

“I am thankful that we got out as our baby was in the house - anything could have happened.”

Her partner, aged 30, who also wished to remain anonymous, said: “The fire has ruined all the food and our clothes, including our son’s Christening gown and my suit. It was such a shock. But we were happy to get to the church and carry on.”

Crew manager Robert Steele, of Hindley Fire Service, said: “Three fire engines attended and two firefighters with breathing apparatus used a hose reel and fan to put out the fire. Luckily the family were awake at the time, as they were preparing food. The fire caused damage to the oven and surrounding cupboards. There was 100 per cent smoke damage to the kitchen, as well as the majority of both floors. It seems such a shame it has ruined the baby’s Christening.”