Taxi ban upheld for driver who hid offences

editorial image
0
Have your say

A TAXI driver who failed to notify the council of previous driving offences has had the appeal against his licence suspension rejected.

John Marland, 43, was banned from driving a private hire vehicle for two months in February.

Earlier this month, the council’s decision to impose a ban was upheld at an appeal hearing.

The court said it was satisfied the local authority had carried out its duties and given sufficient warning.

Julie Middlehurst, trading standards and licencing manager, said: “A condition of the private hire drivers’ licence is that they must notify us of any conviction, formal caution or fixed penalty notice with seven days.

“This allows us to consider the seriousness of the offence and to decide whether the matter should be referred to the Committee.

“On this occasion, the driver had received two warning letters relating to incidents in 2009 and 2010 but failed on a third occasion to make us aware of a conviction in 2012.”

Mr Marland, of Mill Lane, Leigh, appeared at Wigan Magistrates Court on May 2 for the appeal decision.

He was ordered to pay £200 costs and was informed the original ban will remain.

Coun Paul Prescott, executive chairman of the regulation committee, said: “I’d like to remind all drivers of the condition on their licence.

“It is important that we are satisfied our drivers are fit to hold a licence and to enable us to do this, we need to be aware of any convictions that they receive.”