Pensioner rescued from home

Winton Road, Lowton scene of house fire caused by and electric blanket
Winton Road, Lowton scene of house fire caused by and electric blanket

AN elderly woman was rescued from her house by firefighters after her electric blanket caught fire.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service’s (GMFRS) control room received a call at around 8.20pm on Tuesday, February 12, to say there was a fire at a semi-detached house in Winton Road in Lowton.

Blue Watch firefighters from Leigh Fire Station went to the address where they gained access through the bedroom window and rescued the 85-year-old woman.

Watch Manager Michael Eckersall said: “Once we had gained entry through the bedroom window using a ladder, the lady was carried downstairs and then outside – where she was given oxygen by a GMFRS trauma technician before going to hospital.”

The fire is thought to have started as a result of a fault with the blanket.

Coun David Acton, chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: “People are understandably reaching for their heaters and electric blankets again with the freezing temperatures.

“We urge everyone to use such items with caution – ensure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions and, if in any doubt your blanket or heater is not working absolutely perfectly, do not use it.”

People who are in any doubt about their blanket, are advised to contact the manufacturer before using it to make sure that it is safe. It may need to be replaced.

Electrical safety advice can also be found on the GMFRS website by visiting www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_safety/electrical_equipment.aspx.

For a free Home Safety Check, which may include the fitting of smoke alarms, contact GMFRS on 0800 555 815 or visit www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_risk_assessments.aspx