Pensioner in chip pan blaze

editorial image

AN elderly lady was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a chip pan blaze at a care home.

Crews from Leigh were called to Pennington House residential home in St Helens Road shortly before 5pm on Sunday after the hot fat caught fire when it was left unattended.

The 78-year-old woman, who was suffering from the effects of the smoke, was helped by firefighter, who gave her oxygen therapy and she was taken to hospital for further treatment.

The blaze destroyed the pan and its contents.

This is the second recent incident involving a traditional chip pan.

A small blaze occurred in Greenslate Road, Billinge, on Wednesday evening.

A 73-year-old man and his 68-year-old wife were taken to hospital, suffering from smoke inhalation, but were released a few hours later.

Chairman of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority (GMFRS), Coun David Acton, said: “Chip pans are incredibly dangerous and GMFRS encourages everyone to ban the pan and swap chip pans for safer alternatives such as deep fat fryers or oven 
chips.”