Music festival plans descend into chaos

Electus - one of the bands that was lined up for the festival
Electus - one of the bands that was lined up for the festival
1
Have your say

UTTER confusion surrounds the fate of a controversial music festival which has failed to strike a chord with angry residents.

Organisers of the Lowton Music Festival sparked outrage after announcing 100 hours of live performances over three days at Grange Farm later this month.

It will cause uproar if it goes ahead and in this area – it’s just not on

Ed Thwaite

Residents’ groups and councillors were bombarded with complaints over the potential noise and traffic disruption and the authorities also had numerous concerns about the organisation and the speed with which the three-day event was put together.

However, the whole event has descended into near farce, with a notice posted on Facebook claiming the event was cancelled and rumours the organisers were actually trying to reduce the event from three days to one and refunding some of those who had already bought weekend passes.

Ed Thwaite, chair of the Lowton East Neighbourhood Development Forum (LENDF), said: “It appeared out of the blue and it seems like they’ve rushed into it. You can’t arrange it all in just a few weeks.

“It will cause a lot of nuisance to a lot of people and it is amazing it has got as far as it has.

“There’s houses all around the location apart from on the Liverpool side and you will be able to hear it all over Lowton and Golborne.

“It will cause uproar if it goes ahead and in this area – it’s just not on.”

Objections to the event voiced by residents include security and policing issues, parking, sanitation and fire risks, while Greater Manchester Police (GMP) and the business compliance team have also objected.

Wigan Council’s licensing sub-committee is supposed to meet on Friday morning to discuss the festival’s application for a temporary events notice, but it is not known if this will go ahead.

Organisers promised a variety of acts from the local and national music scenes performing on two stages at the farm just south of the East Lancs Road near Golborne as well as a funfair and camping facilities for festival-goers.

Conservative councillor for Lowton East ward James Grundy said: “The fact the temporary events notice was applied for at such short notice is causing a great deal of concern.

“If people want to hold community festivals I am all for it but there needs to be the appropriate amount of time for the groundwork to be done.

“I’ve been inundated with complaints from concerned residents.”

The festival was originally set to take place between Friday, August 21, and Sunday, August 23, and the exact timing of the rumoured one-day replacement event is still unknown.

The organisers could not be contacted for comment.