Mum thanks firefighters who helped save her baby

Firefighters, from left, Wayne Hesketh, Gordon Worthington and Dan Ogden, from Green Watch at Leigh fire station, with baby Thomas
Firefighters, from left, Wayne Hesketh, Gordon Worthington and Dan Ogden, from Green Watch at Leigh fire station, with baby Thomas

A RELIEVED mum thanked firefighters who performed vital life-saving first aid on her baby son after he began choking during a car journey.

Quick-thinking Francesca Lowe, from Lowton, pulled into Leigh fire station to ask for urgent help after three-week-old Thomas turned blue and stopped breathing during a trip from Leigh town centre to the infirmary.

From left: Wayne Hesketh, Francesca Lowe, Gordon Worthington, grandma Jenny Graham and Dan Ogden

From left: Wayne Hesketh, Francesca Lowe, Gordon Worthington, grandma Jenny Graham and Dan Ogden

Francesca managed to remove the milk Thomas was choking on from his airways but was not sure if he was breathing properly so sought assistance from the fire crews, who gave him oxygen until he had recovered from his ordeal.

Francesca today thanked the crews for immediately leaving their training in the yard to help and keeping her family calm during the terrifying moments Thomas was choking and presented them with fruit and beer.

She also thanked residents who flocked to show their support and left kind messages praising the actions of everyone involved after the incident on Saturday attracted widespread media interest.

Francesca, 40, said: “We’re just getting over the shock of what happened. The firefighters were really helpful and came to our aid.

It was obviously really scary. I managed to free the milk he was choking on but I was just concerned how long he hadn’t been breathing properly. I did a couple of presses on his chest and could see it going up and down

Francesca Lowe

“We had been into Leigh to do a bit of shopping, turned into the road near the station and Thomas had gone blue.

“It was obviously really scary. I managed to free the milk he was choking on but I was just concerned how long he hadn’t been breathing properly. I did a couple of presses on his chest and could see it going up and down.

“We just drove into the fire station and they took him off into the building. My little girl was quite upset so they gave her juice and they made us cups of tea.

“I just want to thank everyone who’s heard about it and shared the link. I’ve had some really lovely comments, I’ve been surprised just how nice everyone has been.”

Francesca, who gave birth to Thomas prematurely on April 15, is also urging people to learn about first aid to ensure they know what to do in similar circumstances.

She said: “One of the fire crew offered to teach us some first aid and explain the proper process if a baby chokes.

“I think people should go and find out how to cope with choking so if something like this does happen to somebody else they will know what to do.

“I just did what came naturally, I thought on my feet. Apparently this can be quite common in newborn and premature babies because their cough and gag reflexes aren’t quite fully developed.”