Bin turned to lethal fireball

TEENAGERS who threw lit fireworks into a bin filled with waste glass turned it into a potentially lethal bomb.

Firefighters say that people were lucky to escape injury from shards and splinters from the broken bottles and window glass during the subsequent explosion in Edna Street, Leigh late Monday afternoon.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) bosses are now urging residents to take their bins in on time during the evenings as Guy Fawkes Night approaches.

Assistant Chief Fire Officer and Director of GMFRS’ Prevention and Protection Services Peter O’Reilly said: “Fortunately nobody was injured on this occasion, but they could have easily been.

“We have already seen a handful of firework injuries over the past couple of weeks due to children playing with them.

“Along with partners, we’re doing all we can to prevent firework injuries, deliberate fires and antisocial behaviour in the run up to Hallowe’en and Bonfire Night as part of Operation Treacle.”

GMFRS are advising people to attend organised bonfire and fireworks events. For more about Operation Treacle go to http://www.safe4autumn.com/