Aerosol explosion causes house damage

Belvoir Street, Scholes. Image courtesy of Google
Belvoir Street, Scholes. Image courtesy of Google

Fire chiefs have issued a safety warning after a heated aerosol exploded through the front window of a Wigan house.

A pressurised can of air-freshener had been left near to a log-burning stove, causing the can to over-heat.

The explosion smashed the double-glazed windows of the terraced property and a resident sitting in the living room at the time was lucky to escape with no injuries, the fire service said.

Crews from Wigan, Atherton and a technical rescue unit from Leigh attended the property on Belvoir Street, Scholes, shortly after 10.30pm on Monday, May 1.

Watch manager Paul Gibbons said: "Because the aerosol can was left in close proximity to the log-burner, it caused the liquid inside to over-heat and expand. The pressure inside the can then causes it to explode.

"This was a complete accident but the resident is very lucky. There was no fire, as such, but the explosion smashed through the front windows.

"Obviously there is a safety message here that log-burners and aerosols are not a good mix and residents should be careful not to leave things like air-fresheners or deodorants close by."

Fire officers secured the property and conducted a home safety check.

WM Gibbons added: "It's not a common occurrence this kind of incident but it does occasionally happen so please be warned. This resident was lucky."